[Samba] smbtorture config issue?

Kristy Kallback-Rose kallbac at indiana.edu
Fri Dec 4 14:11:55 MST 2009

Hello,

	I'm trying to run smbtorture against another system. I have installed
version 4.0.0alpha9 locally. The remote system is registered with ADS
as:

distinguishedName: CN=bl-uits-cictest,CN=Computers,DC=ads,DC=iu,DC=edu
name: bl-uits-cictest
dNSHostName: bl-uits-cictest.ads.iu.edu
servicePrincipalName: HOST/bl-uits-cictest.ads.iu.edu
servicePrincipalName: HOST/BL-UITS-CICTEST

	The server itself is cictest.cic.iu.edu, and I can connect to the
remote server with smbclient as such:
smbclient -s /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf -n bl-uits-
cictest.ads.iu.edu -Ukallbac //cictest.cic.iu.edu/projects Password:
Domain=[ADS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.11-ctdb-65]
smb: \> quit

The problem is this:

1) smbtorture complains about the ads security setting:
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbtorture --realm=ads.iu.edu -T samba3 -d 3 -W
ADS --netbiosname=BL-UITS-CICTEST -U cictestuser3  //
cictest.cic.iu.edu/projects RAW-QFSINFO
lp_load: refreshing parameters from /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file "/usr/local/
samba/etc/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
Unknown enumerated value 'ADS' for 'security'
params.c:pm_process() - Failed.  Error returned from params.c:parse().

I have tried both ads and ADS, it doesn't seem to like either

2) smbtorture proceeds to complain as such:
Server is not registered with our KDC:  Miscellaneous failure (see
text): Server (cifs/cictest.cic.iu.edu at ADS.IU.EDU) unknown
SPNEGO(gssapi_krb5) NEG_TOKEN_INIT failed to parse:
NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60898215
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
Server is not registered with our KDC:  Miscellaneous failure (see
text): Server (cifs/cictest.cic.iu.edu at ADS.IU.EDU) unknown
SPNEGO(gssapi_krb5) NEG_TOKEN_INIT failed to parse:
NT_STATUS_INVALID_PARAMETER
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60898215
Password for [ADS\cictestuser3]:

Fwiw, my krb5.conf has a default realm of ADS.IU.EDU as well as a
realms section for ADS.IU.EDU I can provide other information if it
would be helpful.

Can anyone offer some suggestions to troubleshoot this?

Many thanks,
Kristy