[Samba] Getting Windows XP drivers from print$

Ryan Suarez ryan.suarez at sheridanc.on.ca
Fri Dec 4 11:54:11 MST 2009

> The driver for HP 4650 downloaded from hp.com wouldn't install through
> APW. I also tried doing it through rpcclient which worked so much as I
> followed every step in the Samba guide for it with no errors, but
> Windows XP wasn't able to download the driver files from the Samba
> server.

ya, sounds like same driver issues with v3.4.x alot of people here are
problems with.

>> Try using v3.3.x and see if you have better luck.
>
> I am not too keen on downgrading, as I am setting up a domain that
> needs to be Windows 7 compatible.

v3.3.x printing is compatible with Windows 7.  We're a large scale samba
v3.3.9 and printing works with our Windows7 clients.  Or you can wait
for v3.4.4 due out on Dec 17 which is supposed to address  these driver
issues.

> I did some more testing today with the postscript drivers and it seems
> there is a "reference" for gyldendal somewhere which screws things up
> because if I name the queue differently (same .ppd etc) everything
> works :S

FWIW, I didn't have a good experience using generic cups/postscript
drivers.  I had various problems which were fixed when we switched to
printer specific drivers.