[Samba] nmbd startup fails

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 08:52:09 MST 2009

Hi

2009/12/1 Battersby-Cornmell, Robin Alasdair
<Robin.Battersby-Cornmell at uisl.unisys.com>:

> Dear all,
>
> I regret that I am very new to this tool from the install side.  I have so far altered shares on a running machine only.
>
> I have (thanks to Joss for some help already) installed version 3.4.3 under AIX 6.1 giving it our preferred base directory of /opt/freeware/samba/3.4.3
>
> I have copied over the smb.conf file from the source machine (AIX 5.2 / Samba 2.0.7) and tweaked the content of .../sbin so that a shell script intercepts the call to the real swat, smbd and nmbd to ensure that the correct PATH & LIBPATH are set and this seems to work fine for swat & smbd, but nmbd always fails with the following in .../var/log.nmbd:-

One thing to keep in mind is that the options (and defaults) can
change between versions of Samba, so your old smb.conf might not be
completely right for the new version of Samba.

Try running "testparm -v" on both the old and the new servers and
compare the results.  Then read up on the options in the documentation
and ask about the ones you're unsure of.

It might also help if you post the "testparm -v" output here.

> [2009/12/01 14:27:07,  0] nmbd/nmbd.c:854(main)
>  nmbd version 3.4.3 started.
>  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
> [2009/12/01 14:27:07,  0] lib/util_sock.c:938(open_socket_in)
>  bind failed on port 137 socket_addr = 0.0.0.0.
>  Error = The socket name is already in use.
>
> It is true that the port 137 is in use as inetd has the entries:-
>
> netbios-ssn stream tcp  nowait  root    /opt/freeware/samba/3.4.3/bin/smbd smbd
> netbios-ns  dgram  udp  wait    root    /opt/freeware/samba/3.4.3/bin/nmbd nmbd
>
> This is how we have it on the old server.  Oddly, smbd starts just fine and swat allows me to manage the smb.conf file - not that I understand most of the options.

I suggest you remove those lines from your inetd.conf and rather just
run smbd and nmbd daemons.  Can they even run from inetd any more?  I
suspect it's very inefficient at best to run them from inetd.

> I still have no users being able to access the server, but I haven't even begun to look at security.  The old server has a pointer to a Windows domain controller, so I'm hoping that it is all contained in there and I just have to refer to it.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but it sounds like you
would need to join your new server to the Windows domain.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>