[Samba] Active Directory DNS Registration

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Thu Dec 3 10:03:55 MST 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Casey Allen Shobe <casey at shobe.info> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Robert LeBlanc <robert at leblancnet.us>wrote:
>
>> When you use net ads join to join the computer to the domain, it should
>> register the machine in DNS as well.
>>

> Well, prior to reading this I actually got things changed over to use
> security = ads insead of domain, and re-joined the domain using kerberos.
> The DNS issue was exactly the same.
>
> Since you say that the machine object shows the name in lowercase, I assume
>> you did not create the object previously.
>>

> No, I did not.  I deleted it using active directory users and groups before
> rejoining with kerberos also.
>

>> If looking in DNS management does not show you machine in the forward
>> zone,
>>

> How can I check for sure?  wbinfo -I and -N work, btw, but not DNS
> resolution.  I do not have any access to the Windows DNS stuff as it runs on
> servers I cannot log in to.  Well, actually, I have a non-admin login right
> on one of them, but I don't think I can do anything useful with that.

I don't have login access to our DCs, but have been granted access to DNS. I
open up DNS management on my Windows XP workstation, then select one of the
DCs as the DNS server, I can then do any DNS work without having to login to
the DC. If this is still not an option, then I would make heavy use of the
dig command on Linux.

> try on the Samba server "sudo net ads dns register -P" That will try to
>> register the machine again in DNS.
>>

> That command hung for long time, then finally returned:
> "DNS update failed!"

I wonder if this may have to do with the domain requiring secure updates, it
seems that this would work since you have Kerberos working correctly. I
would look through the logs, maybe bumping up the debug level while running
the above command. You won't need to disjoin or rejoin to see the DNS
errors. I haven't had to do much in the way of DNS debugging here as it
works just fine in our environment.

> I'm not sure if pre-creating the object will cause problems as I have not
>> pre-created objects in my domain.
>>

> I deleted the computer from AD, and pre-created it using uppercase letters,
> then re-joined the domain using net ads join.  Now DNS resolution seems to
> work!

This seems fishy and doesn't make sense, as we don't have to so this here. I
would try some of the above things as it may help pinpoint the real problem
and fix it for future Samba installs.

> > If you need additional IP's or CNAMEs, you may have to enter those
> > manually in DNS management.
>
> I'm assuming this is something on the Windows DC that is outside of my
> control.  Is it possible to set up a (linux-based) DNS server for our site
> that can resolve some custom things I put in, but passes anything it doesn't
> know an answer for (e.g. any Windows hostname) to the Windows DNS?

Please see my above comment, you AD admin may feel comfortable delegating
certian DNS rights to get your job done. I would much prefer that over a
split horizon DNS, or delegated zone if your site has it's own sub-domain.
It get too difficult to manage multiple DNS servers. We have a delegated DNS
zone for our AD domain, and our clients all use our Linux DNS servers by
default. The reason, that DNS was set-up a long time ago and not everyone on
campus uses the Active Directory.

Client

Linux DNS (school.edu, delegates school.local to AD DCs)

Windows DNS (school.local)

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University