[Samba] nmbd fails to start

Battersby-Cornmell, Robin Alasdair Robin.Battersby-Cornmell at uisl.unisys.com
Thu Dec 3 03:29:18 MST 2009

Dear all,

I regret that I am very new to this tool from the install side.  I have so far altered shares on a running machine only.

I have (thanks to Joss for some help already) installed version 3.4.3 under AIX 6.1 giving it our preferred base directory of /opt/freeware/samba/3.4.3

I have copied over the smb.conf file from the source machine (AIX 5.2 / Samba 2.0.7) and tweaked the content of .../sbin so that a shell script intercepts the call to the real swat, smbd and nmbd to ensure that the correct PATH & LIBPATH are set and this seems to work fine for swat & smbd, but nmbd always fails with the following in .../var/log.nmbd:-

[2009/12/01 14:27:07,  0] nmbd/nmbd.c:854(main)
  nmbd version 3.4.3 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2009
[2009/12/01 14:27:07,  0] lib/util_sock.c:938(open_socket_in)
  bind failed on port 137 socket_addr = 0.0.0.0.
  Error = The socket name is already in use.

It is true that the port 137 is in use as inetd has the entries:-

netbios-ssn stream tcp  nowait  root    /opt/freeware/samba/3.4.3/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns  dgram  udp  wait    root    /opt/freeware/samba/3.4.3/bin/nmbd nmbd

This is how we have it on the old server where nmbd is running.  Oddly, smbd starts just fine and swat allows me to manage the smb.conf file - not that I understand most of the options.  I must admit that I don't know what nmbd does, I'm just trying to replicate the services from the live server to the replacement.

I still have no users being able to access the server, but I haven't even begun to look at security.  The old server has a pointer to a Windows domain controller, so I'm hoping that it is all contained in there and I just have to refer to it.

Sorry about the question.  The project manager is being a project manager and I have a go-live date of next weekend - and I have the DR server to build yet (racking the server, firmware, disk allocation etc)

Thanks in advance,
Robin
Unisys, Liverpool

This email is sent in confidence for the addressee only.

Unauthorised recipients must preserve this confidentiality and should please advise the sender immediately by returning the original email to us without reading it, taking a copy or disclosing it to anyone else. Please also destroy and delete the email from your computer.

We have taken reasonable precautions to ensure that no viruses are transmitted to any third party. Unisys Insurance Services Limited does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage resulting directly or indirectly from the use of this email or its contents.

Unisys Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, is a member of the UNISYS group of companies and provides outsourcing services to the Financial Services Industry

Unisys Insurance Services Limited Registered in England No. 4087012
Registered Office: Bakers Court, Bakers Road, Uxbridge, UB8 1RG