[Samba] Deletion of directory symlink via Samba deletes files in original subdirectory on Unix

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Wed Dec 2 15:42:05 MST 2009

Hello

> Any ideas?  I am going to compile the latest and greatest Samba and
> put it on a test machine to see if it resolves the problem.
>
> Thanks --
>
> Kathy

I don't have a solution to your problem, although I discovered a similar
problem in Samba's behavior with symlinks to FILES.  Getting good Level
10 logs was key to figuring out what the problem was -- and fixing it.
That got fixed in 3.0.14 or 3.0.15 I believe.

I myself make extensive use of symlinks to DIRECTORIES in my
applications.  If you're thinking about a workaround, here's a question:

What are the permissions on the directories that the symlinks point to?
If a user could directly see one of those directories, would he/she be
able to delete it?

Andy