[Samba] CIFS and ghost files.

RobertoBouza at bayviewassetmanagement.com RobertoBouza at bayviewassetmanagement.com
Wed Dec 2 08:55:50 MST 2009

Hello everyone.

I hope I can get some help with this problem we are having.

We have a CIFS mount (from a NetApp) were we write files (php
application). Then the files are being copied to a directory in the same
CIFS filesystem, then a process on a Windows server picks up the file and
deletes it.

The thing is, later the php app, generates a new file and when it tries to
copy it it says "the file doesn't exists". So if I go to the "copy"
location and do an ls I don't see the file, but if I do ls -l "filename"
then it shows!!!

I issue a rm "filename" and I got a "no such file or directory", then I do
a ls -l "filename" is not there anymore. here some steps:

A.- On a CIFS filesystem /path/ on a RHEL 5 server (server1):

1.- PHP app generates file (test.txt) on /path/temp/
2.- PHP app copies file from /path/temp/ to /path/final/

B.- On a Windows server accessing the same /path/ share (server2)

1.- Informatica sees the test.txt file on /path/final/ executes a
proccess, deletes the file

C.- On server 1

1.- PHP app generates file (test.txt) on /path/temp/
2.- PHP app copies file from /path/temp/ to /path/final/ ----> the app
fails with an error

D.- Admin (ME)

1.- Goes to the server an does: ls -l /path/final/ ---> file is not there
2.- Does: ls -l /path/final/test.txt and gets: -rwxrwSrwx 1 wwwspool
wwwspool 0 Nov  4 10:38 test.txt
3.- Does: rm /path/final/test.txt  and gets: rm: cannot remove `test.txt':
No such file or directory

The cycle starts again on A.

thanks for your help.