[Samba] Ldap replication

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 07:16:00 MST 2009

On 12/02/09 01:51, Kevin Kimani wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i have a setup where by there is a PDC thats authenticating users
> through ldap. i have several other BDCs' that are doing the
> replication of the main server. am trying to setup the users to be
> authenticated by the BDC but am not able to. Any suggestions will be
> quite helpful
>
> Regards
> kevin

Do you mean samba replication or ldap replication?

All DC's should be configured for
     security=user
     domain logons=yes
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://yourldapserver

They don't actually have to point to the same ldap server-  they should
be able to point to a replica ldap server (if that exists.)  The PDC
would have to point either to a master LDAP server or a writable
replica.   I have been setting this up with Sun Directory Server so I
can't comment on OpenLDAP.

On each DC the " net getdomainsid" should show that the machine SID is
the same as the domain SID.

I would also make sure that the output of "net groupmap list" and
"pbedit -Lv"  is the same on all DC's.

I would make sure that the following "net rpc user info" command is
returning the same results from each DC.

e.g

# net rpc user info someuser  -U Administrator -S mypdc
Password:
Domain Users
Sales
Marketing
#

Make sure that all machines are using the same WINS server.   I have my
PDC as the WINS server.