[Samba] Password Sync not letting users to change password.

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Sat Aug 29 10:54:32 MDT 2009

Avinash Rao wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Ubuntu 8.04 Server
> Samba 3.0.28a configured as PDC.
>
> I want to give options to samba users to change their own passwords and sync
> it with the unix passwords whenever they change it.
>
> I have used the following in my smb.conf file
>
> unix password sync = yes
> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
> passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
> %n\
> n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>
> I get an option to change the password in winXP but, after entering the new
> password, the server returns "You don't have permissions to change your
> password"
>
> can anybody help me
> Avinash

Go to a Linux command prompt and try to change a password. Compare the
password change dialogue with the passwd chat line in your smb.conf
file. On my Debian/Lenny server, the chat line is:
       passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*passwd:\spassword\supdated\ssuccessfully*

The chat line you have should work, but you never know.

Also, check in the user manager (both the Linux and Windows ones) to
ensure that users are actually allowed to change their passwords. It may
be that they have accidentally been denied that right.