[Samba] Desiring to set up Windows Vista and Linux Fedora Core 4 Samba; brand new subscriber

Barry L. Bond bbond at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 21 22:28:05 MDT 2009

Greetings!

     I am a brand new subscriber to this mailing list.  I will try to be
kind and humble, and I would appreciate if anyone reading this could offer
to help me set this up, I would appreciate it.

     First, let me tell you what I'm trying to set up.  I recently got a
new Windows Vista computer.  And, I'm running Linux Fedora Core 4, and Sun
Solaris 8.  I am desiring to get the Samba on my Linux FC4 and the
separate Windows computer "talking".  :-)

     I desire to be able to print from Windows, and I don't have many, but
an occasional file transfer is desired.

     My Linux and Solaris run 24 hours a day.  The Windows computer is not
on all the time.  The printer is an HP OfficeJet HP9110.  It is connected
to the Linux system via a parallel port, and does not have a network
interface card.

     I will not be setting up the printer on the Windows system.  It is
configured, set up, and used the vast majority of the time from the Linux
system.

     Second, let me tell you how I've been using Samba for years, and it's
been wonderful and perfect!  I have a Windows 98 which I have installed
and can run in VMWare on my Linux system.  From the Windows 98, I can
print.  (I have connected [add printer] to \\Barrycon\HP9110, and the
smb.conf file accepts a "raw" cups file, and the queue prints it just
fine.  All is good.)  I have been able to transfer files, going through
"Network Neighborhood".

     It is exactly this same type of thing I want now in this separate
computer, as opposed to the "separate computer" which is really dwelling
with the VMWare process which runs on the Linux system.

     I'll mention one other thing.  The Linux computer has only one
network interface card.  It is attached to the Sun Solaris computer, which
has two (well, actually, now four, as a result of a direct to my house
lightning strike last year, and I replaced it with a quad network card).

     The Sun Solaris is my mail host and my router for the Linux system.

     All this has been set up for years and is working wonderfully.

     The Sun computer, the separate Dell Windows computer, and my DVR is
all attached to a D-Link router (EBR-2310).  Checking on a forum for that,
they say it should be possible for Samba running on my Linux computer to
communicate with the Windows computer, and do what I want.  (They said
possibly setting up port forwarding.  But, the router is also a network
switch for all the things attached to it.)

     My smb.conf file has had "interfaces = eth0 vmnet1 vmnet8", and that
has been what it has used.  (vmnet1 and 8 are VMWare-specific network
ports).

     I recently changed the IP address of the Windows Vista computer to a
static IP address.  (It had been using a D-Link router specified DHCP
address.)  (So, do I now uncomment the line that says "hosts allow =
192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127."?)

     (I'll mention that I'm very Windows ignorant, but can do okay in
Unixes...)  :-)

     If you're still reading (:-)), this is pretty well what I have, and
what I'd like to do.  I have a minimal set up, and have had, and it's been
wonderful.  I'd like help to configure what I need to do to allow the
Windows Vista computer to be able to print (to the printer on the Linux
system) and transfer files (doing it from Windows is fine).

     My mother lives with me, and she needs me a lot.  I have periods of
times, days and sometimes even weeks at a time, when I have *very little
time* to work on these things.  So, if you reply, I WILL get to it -- I
PROMISE YOU!  But, if I go days, a week or so, please understand.  :-)

     I have 192.168 addresses, and I will openly share whatever
information you may need to help me figure this out.

     Thank you very much!  I look forward to possibly working with you.

     Barry