[Samba] Fwd: most common way to implement 'net time' privileges

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Fri Aug 28 09:36:40 MDT 2009

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:23:33 +0300 Liutauras Adomaitis <liutauras.adomaitis at gmail.com> wrote:

LA> >> run the following on every client (via Wpkg or psexec or ...)
LA> >
LA> > sc config w32time start= auto
LA> > net time /setsntp:your.favorite.ntp.server
LA> > net stop w32time & net start w32time
LA> > w32tm /resync /nowait
LA> >

LA> Ok, I changed my root preexec scriipt to include command to sync time
LA> with winexec tool. Seems to be working. This is not a proper way, but
LA> if it works I can call it quick and dirty way to sync time. I couldn't
LA> test it with vista machines, but i'll do it later.

You only need to do it once!

those commands configure the ntp service on windows clients
and that's is OMHO the correct way to do the synchronisation.
(it has to be the proper way,it's the way you do it on Linux :-)

it works on Vista

on W2K you have to replace
w32tm /resync /nowait  by w32tm -once

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping