[Samba] ldap? Samba? Nss?

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Thu Aug 27 12:01:31 MDT 2009

It seems my logins are taking a long time to get logged in.  I am guessing
that it is worse when classes start and a lot of the kids try to login at
once.  My old server did not seem to have this problem though and we have
the same number of students.

Where should I start looking at this?  I am guessing that it is ldap, but
want to make sure.

If I log in at a computer and go to start->run and type \\server, it may
take 1-2 minutes until I can see my shares which is the same thing the
students are seeing when logging into the domain.  I just wanted to leave
any profile copying out of the equation so I just did it this way.

I noticed this first on my batch user add program for adding users to
ldap/samba.  The program reads in the users and groups with getpwent and
getgrent and it really takes a long time.

Any suggestions of what to start looking for would be appreciated.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?