[Samba] FAT32 format HDD recognizes as NTFS

Sallow Yang sallow.yang at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 23:55:17 MDT 2009

2009/8/27 John H Terpstra - Samba Team <jht at samba.org>

> On 08/26/2009 08:58 PM, Jonathon Doran wrote:
> > Quoting Sallow Yang <sallow.yang at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The following are my steps:
> >> 1. Insert a FAT32 format HDD into usb port of Linux PC.
> >> 2. After HDD mounted successfully, configure and start samba to share
> the
> >> HDD.
> >> 3. Using Map Network Drive of Windows XP to map the HDD to a windows
> >> network
> >> drive.
> >> 4.Open the mapped network drive, can see "NTFS" file system on the left
> >> details.
> >>
> >> It shows the wrong info, could anybody help me?
> >> Thanks in advance!!
> >
> > Samba allows a directory your Linux box to appear to be an NTFS volume.
> > That is its purpose.  It really doesn't matter what the original
> > filesystem is:  you can export an ext3 filesystem, ext4, xfs, FAT32...
> > whatever the original filesystem is, the Samba clients (for example your
> > XP machine) will see it as an NTFS volume.
> >
> > This isn't really all that different (in my opinion) from the way that
> > NFS will make directories appear as NFS volumes.  It didn't matter what
> > the original filesystem was in that case either.
>
> Please refer to the man page for smb.conf. Look up the parameter "fstype".

 fstype (S)

This parameter allows the administrator to configure the string that
specifies the type of filesystem a share is using that is reported by smbd
(8) <http://sepp.oetiker.ch/samba-3.0.23c-to/help/manpages/smbd.8.html> when
a client queries the filesystem type for a share. The default type is
NTFSfor compatibility with Windows NT but this can be changed to other
strings
such as Samba or FAT if required.

Default: *fstype = NTFS *

Example: *fstype = Samba *

 When I set fstype = FAT32 in smb.conf, it can show "FAT32" file system in
the Windows side.
 It's the right result, thanks John T!!

> - John T.
> --