[Samba] FAT32 format HDD recognizes as NTFS

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Wed Aug 26 20:09:41 MDT 2009

>> 4.Open the mapped network drive, can see "NTFS" file system on the left
>> details.
>>
>> It shows the wrong info, could anybody help me?
>> Thanks in advance!!
My theory is that it has to do with the capabilities of the file system.
Samba is presenting a FS that has ownership and permission capabilities,
Windows only knows of one FS that supports those capabilities, therefore
it must be NTFS.

I doubt it has any real effect, it's not like Windows will try to run
chkdsk on it or anything.
> Samba allows a directory your Linux box to appear to be an NTFS
> volume.  That is its purpose.  It really doesn't matter what the
> original filesystem is:  you can export an ext3 filesystem, ext4, xfs,
> FAT32... whatever the original filesystem is, the Samba clients (for
> example your XP machine) will see it as an NTFS volume.
The client should really see it as a SMB or CIFS volume rather than NTFS.

> This isn't really all that different (in my opinion) from the way that
> NFS will make directories appear as NFS volumes.  It didn't matter
> what the original filesystem was in that case either.
I would have said it was closer to exporting an ext3 FS over NFS and the
client reporting that it is reiser.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>