[Samba] winbind enum groups/users = no

Andrew Masterson Andrew.Masterson at nuvistaenergy.com
Wed Aug 26 09:35:09 MDT 2009

After a bunch of reading, the most information I can find on turning
these off is that they will speed up certain tasks, and this warning:

"Warning: Turning off group enumeration may cause some programs to
behave oddly."

Does anyone have any more information on what programs may "behave
oddly"?  Is this a server side odd-behaviour, client-side or both?

(Using ls on some small directories seems to take a while presumably
because it is busy getting the updated user/group information from the
PDC, so I was wondering about turning these parameters off.)