[Samba] Auditing/logging with latest Samba release

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Thu Aug 20 18:35:44 MDT 2009

Hi all,

I just upgraded from Samba 3.0 to 3.2 and found that the old smbd_audit
module no longer works.  This module logs all file accesses (especially
deletes and renames) into a MySQL database (with a web frontend) and is
extremely useful for us as sometimes our users accidentally move things
around when they're trying to double-click on folder, and by reviewing
the audit trail we can track down where the missing item was moved to
and put it back.

I'm not having much luck finding a similar module to smbd_audit for
Samba 3.2, so I'm wondering whether one exists and perhaps I'm just not
seeing it.

What would everyone recommend to track this sort of data with Samba 3.2?

Many thanks,
Adam.