[Samba] samba 3.4 performance tuning

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Aug 20 14:23:53 MDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 23:06 +0300, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> Any hints for samba performance tuning parameters in smb.conf?
> current parameters:
> First connection (drive map) from windows machines is a bit slow, maybe
> disabling ipv6 helps for that?

Why not suss out where the delay is before changing things?  See
"Premature Optimization". Watch with wireshark and see if you see [long]
pauses in the exchange.  My guess is that you'll find pauses where the
client [the Windows PC] isn't doing anything - which Samba can't help.

IPv6 will only matter if the client is using IPv6 and in 2009 disabling
IPv6 is just a bit retro.  Haven't tested with Samba but in general we
find IPv6 to be slightly faster.