[Samba] central PDC + remote BDCs: LDAP strategy, my lack of comprehension

Michal Dobroczynski michal.dobroczynski at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 06:50:35 MDT 2009

Hello Sven,
I have the following structure here:
- one PDC talking to RW OpenLDAP
- three BDCs talking to RO OpenLDAP replica

Basically I am using additional BDCs as file servers - and so far it
works fine. Please take a look on "password server" and "passdb
backend" (here you specify the RO replica). Think also about
"ldapsam:trusted = yes" (large performance gain).

One of the BDCs is located 500km from where I am right now - and there
is also a replica out there (accessed by Samba running out there to
get all user/group info - but "password server" is located here).

According to a much older e-mail (when I had a question about BDCs) -
a copy-paste from Volker's reply:
--- copy paste ---
On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:15:02PM +0200, Michal Dobroczynski wrote:
> Well - what I have discovered is that setting
>
> domain logons = Yes
> domain master = No
>
> seems to solve the problem.

... because this *is* the only way to tell Samba to be a
BDC. This must be somewhere in the docs.

Volker
--- copy paste ---

I hope this helps a bit.

Regards,