[Samba] Which version do I need for SMB2?

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Thu Aug 20 00:57:00 MDT 2009

Hallo, John,

Du meintest am 19.08.09:

> Last question then...

> What about NFS versus SMB?  Are both about the same speed?

[fullquote deleted]

NFS is faster, but (in my opinion, and without Kerberos etc.) less
secure.

On some machines I had mounted NFS shares from other machines and had
made SMB shares out of them. Ugly, but most times it worked. Sometimes
it was horribly slow.

If you have to serve windows clients, smb is the first (or only) choice.
If you have to serve linux clients, you should run cifs, the alternative
NFS + NIS (or something like that) is ugly.

Maybe Volker's idea to "implement" the NFS/NIS-crap into "winbindd" may
lead to a fine solution.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut