[Samba] Migrating to replacement PDC

Brian H binarynomad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 20:41:31 MDT 2009

I've been reading the SAMBA documentation at:
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/upgrades.html#id2600749

But I just need some confirmation since this is our primary server,
and I'm not fully confident about what I read.

SITUATION:
We currently have a Samba server running as our Primary Domain
Controller which is authenticating against a local LDAP database.  The
hardware is failing so we need to build a replacement box.  Machine
hostnames are based off of asset tags, so the hostnames will be
different between the two servers.

The intention is to build the NEW server with a unique hostname and
temp IP address, and the same smb.conf.  Then at the point of
migration, change the IP address of the NEW server to that of the OLD
server, start up SAMBA, and then let it take over as the PDC.

QUESTIONS:
And from what I understand, as long as I make sure the NEW server has
the same NETBIOS name in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file, then it should
pull the "domain SID" from LDAP the first time it is started.

Does this mean I don't need to import the "secrets.tdb" or manually
set the SID with "net setlocalsid S-1-5-21-22-2394995923-3994118334",
or change the hostname that of the OLD server?

MISC FACTS:
OLD Server
	Hostname: asset01
	DNS Name(s): asset01 PDC LDAP