[Samba] 'inherit owner' doesn't play nice with 'force directory mode'

jw jwdevel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:41:51 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Jeremy Allison<jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:29:51PM -0700, jw wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Jeremy Allison<jra at samba.org> wrote:
>> Would you mind showing me your full config for your working case, and
>> the directory permissions / ownership on your share (privately, if you
>> like) ?
>
> ls -ld /tmp/myshare
>
> drwsrwsr-t 3 nobody eng 4096 Aug 19 11:19 /tmp/myshare
>
> smb.conf stanza:
>
> [tmpperms]
>        path = /tmp/myshare
>        read only = no
>        inherit owner = yes
>        inherit permissions = yes
>        directory mask = 07775
>
> I connect with smbclient and do "mkdir foo" and I get :
>
> ls -ld /tmp/myshare/foo/
>
> drwxrwsr-t 2 nobody eng 4096 Aug 19 11:19 /tmp/myshare/foo/

But by default, samba's guest account is 'nobody', right?
So with what you have, if you create the directory with smbclient, I
imagine you can rename it once it's created?
I want to prevent that.
That is why the config in my original email has

   guest account = sambaguest

Could you try on your side again with 'guest account' set to something
other than 'nobody' ?
Presumably an account that is still in the 'eng' group, so the group
write permissions still allow you to create a new directory in the
first place.

-John