[Samba] 'inherit owner' doesn't play nice with 'force directory mode'

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Aug 19 14:35:47 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 01:29:51PM -0700, jw wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Jeremy Allison<jra at samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, this works with 3.4.0. You need to set:
> >
> >        inherit owner = yes
> >        inherit permissions = yes
> >        directory mask = 07775
> >

> Isn't that one too many characters in the mask?

No. The sticky bit is 01000 so you need the extra 7
to make sure it isn't masked.

> The directory bits are correct (including sticky), but the owner is
> NOT inherited. It is the samba guest account, not the directory owner.

This is working here, don't know why not in your case.

> It seems strange that something like this would be so broken on an
> up-to-date 3.3.6 though..

I don't think it is.

> Would you mind showing me your full config for your working case, and
> the directory permissions / ownership on your share (privately, if you
> like) ?

ls -ld /tmp/myshare

drwsrwsr-t 3 nobody eng 4096 Aug 19 11:19 /tmp/myshare

smb.conf stanza:

[tmpperms]
        path = /tmp/myshare
        read only = no
        inherit owner = yes
        inherit permissions = yes
        directory mask = 07775

I connect with smbclient and do "mkdir foo" and I get :

ls -ld /tmp/myshare/foo/

drwxrwsr-t 2 nobody eng 4096 Aug 19 11:19 /tmp/myshare/foo/

Jeremy.