[Samba] 'inherit owner' doesn't play nice with 'force directory mode'

jw jwdevel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:29:51 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Jeremy Allison<jra at samba.org> wrote:

> Ok, this works with 3.4.0. You need to set:
>
>        inherit owner = yes
>        inherit permissions = yes
>        directory mask = 07775

Isn't that one too many characters in the mask?
Regardless, I tried 07775 (as written), 0775, and 7775 just now via smbclient.
The directory bits are correct (including sticky), but the owner is
NOT inherited. It is the samba guest account, not the directory owner.

   drwxrwxr-t   2 sambaguest sambaguest  512 Aug 19 13:15 foodir3

I'll try from a genuine Win box when I get home, but I expect the
results will be the same.

I am using samba 3.3.6 - apparently there is no 3.4.0 port for FreeBSD
(I could not find one).
Perhaps I will try downloading a tarball or using samba4-devel...

It seems strange that something like this would be so broken on an
up-to-date 3.3.6 though..

Would you mind showing me your full config for your working case, and
the directory permissions / ownership on your share (privately, if you
like) ?

-John