[Samba] 'inherit owner' doesn't play nice with 'force directory mode'

jw jwdevel at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:02:21 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Dale
Schroeder<dale at briannassaladdressing.com> wrote:
> John,
>
> The following quote comes from the SWAT description of the "inherit
> permissions" parameter.
> From the way it is written, it seems quite plausible that it also applies to
> "inherit owner".
>
> inherit permissions (S)
>
> Note that the setuid bit is never set via inheritance (the code explicitly
> prohibits this).

I don't actually care about the setuid bit. I think I was playing with
it earlier so you might see it in the permissions.
What I am interested in is the sticky bit - getting that inherited.
The docs only mention the sticky bit with regard to permissions.

Another way for me to accomplish this is to turn on suiddir in my
kernel (perhaps what you were hinting at?), but I'm trying to avoid
it...

-John