[Samba] Which version do I need for SMB2?

Wed Aug 19 13:05:36 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 02:53:26PM -0400, John Klimek wrote:
> First off, I'm a little confused but I've been trying to do some
> research and still have some questions... (please forgive me!)
>
> I'm trying to figure out the "best" (ie. fastest) way to connect from
> Ubuntu to Windows Server 2008.  I can use SMB, SMB2, or NFS.

Ubuntu is the server or client? If it's the client, try "linux-cifs".

> >From what I've gathered, Samba4 includes SMB2 support but what about
> Samba3?  If so, which version supports it?  (v3.3.2?)

Samba4 contains an implementation of both SMB2 client and
server, but that has not seen any serious development for
many months. Stefan Metzmacher right now is developing an
SMB2 server for Samba3. I would expect a release with Samba
3.5 in latest beginning 2010. My personal expectation would
be that we do not enable it by default yet so that it can
settle, and that we enable it by default with 3.6 in July
2010.

> I'm also confused about "smbfs".  It seems like it's been discontinued
> in favor of "linux-cifs" so I'm wondering if that supports SMB2 and
> what package(s) would be needed to create mount points using that.

None of the versions of smbfs or linux-cifs right now
shipped in major distributions do smb2.

By the way, it's just not true that SMB2 is faster than
SMB1. It might be true for Microsoft's client
implementations, but a properly tuned SMB1 client can almost
saturate a 10GigE connection. I've seen more than
700MBytes/second Samba->smbclient on a single SMB1
connection where the raw TCP speed would have been a little
less than 800MBytes/sec on the same hardware.

Volker