[Samba] Please help with Samba on Solaris10

Chris Osicki osk at admin.swisscom-mobile.ch
Wed Aug 19 06:50:05 MDT 2009

Hi

I'm having lots of problems getting Samba to work on Solaris.
First I tried the version which comes with Solaris10: 3.0.30.
It almost did work, but a user could not _rename_ files.

Next try was with 3.4.0. Unfortunately winbindd tried to _modify_ idmap
entries in my LDAP server to make them be from the UID range defined in smb.conf.
WHY? What's the idea behind it?

Winbindd also populated my LDAP server with few hundred (thousend?) of idmap entries,
including:
BUILTIN\Guests 4
BUILTIN\Users 4
BUILTIN\Administrators 4
\Everyone 5
NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK 5

I must be missing the reason. Is it documented somewhere?

Current try: 3.2.4

make install produces such errors:

/bin/sh: test: argument expected
make: [installlibwbclient] Error 1 (ignored)
/opt/MC/bin/install -c -m 0644 /var/tmp/src/Samba/samba-3.2.4/source/nsswitch/libwbclient/wbclient.h //usr/local/samba/include
/opt/MC/bin/install -c bin/libnetapi.so.0 //usr/local/samba/lib
if test -e bin/libnetapi.so.0 ; then \
        ln -s -f `basename bin/libnetapi.so.0` \
                //usr/local/samba/lib/`basename bin/libnetapi.so` ; \
fi

smbd cannot find libraries:

ldd /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd | grep not
        libtalloc.so =>  (file not found)
        libtdb.so =>     (file not found)
        libwbclient.so =>        (file not found)

RPATH not set. I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/samba/lib.
Still couldn't find libraries.
It looks like "make install" didn't make softlinks. I made them.

I joined the domain,  set LDAP password, started winbindd and smbd.

Winbind looks OK,
"wbinfo -t" -> success
wbinfo --sid-to-uid -> OK
smbclient -L usonfs -> OK

When I access a share I get this:

smbclient //usonfs/test -U tgdosch1 -W corproot
Enter tgdosch1's password:
Domain=[CORPROOT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.4]
Receiving SMB: Server stopped responding
tree connect failed: Call returned zero bytes (EOF)

Could anybody give me a hint what could cause this?
I can provide the (huge) logfiles if anybody want to have a look at them.

Moreover, winbind populated my LDAP server with few hundreds of SID-GID
mappings, probably all groups my user, tgdosch1, belongs to. Couldn't identify all them yet.

Is this behaviour documented somewhere?

My smb.conf below.

Thanks for your time.
Regards,
Chris

[global]
    workgroup = CORPROOT
    netbios name = usonfs
    security = domain
#    client lanman auth = No
#    client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
    log level = 10
    preferred master = no
    bind interfaces only = yes
    interfaces = usonfs

    password server = sg000057.corproot.net sg1006z.corproot.net
    winbind uid = 20000-23000
    winbind gid = 20000-23000
    winbind enum users = no
    winbind enum groups = no

    idmap backend = ldap:ldap://usoldap02.swissptt.ch
    ldap admin dn = uid=idmapadm,ou=testmap,dc=swissptt,dc=ch
    ldap idmap suffix = ou=testmap
    ldap suffix = dc=swissptt,dc=ch
    ldap ssl = off

[homes]