[Samba] Winbind authentication issue on 3.2.13/14 and 3.4.0 (was: Crazied NTLM_AUTH on samba 3.4.0)

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 02:32:57 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 14:44 +0100, Alex Crow wrote:
> > . For example: 1 time
> > return 0xc00000c3 ( NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE) or 0x1c010002 (???)
> > and much others. I realized one thing: when the response is "Broken Pipe"
> > the ntlm responds "OK" on first after try and back to the errors after this
> > warning...
> >

> I am seeing similar problems with 3.2.13 on my Squid server.
>
> If it happens again I will try to get a log.
>
> Alex Crow

I have upgraded to 3.2.14 and the problem persists.

I am in a Samba Domain (pdc and bdc also running 3.2.14) and I have a
bidirectional trust set up to a remote Samba 3.2.14 domain.

A winbindd log at debug level 10 is available here:

http://www.nanogherkin.com/winbindd_autherrorlog.bz2

There were two instances of the issue, one shortly before 08:30 and the
other shortly before 09:24.

wbinfo authentication will also fail:

wbinfo -a ajc%xxxxxxxx
plaintext password authentication failed
Could not authenticate user ajc with plaintext password
challenge/response password authentication failed
error code was NT code 0x1c010002 (0x1c010002)
error messsage was: NT code 0x1c010002
Could not authenticate user ajc with challenge/response

I can also tell you that it can be immediately (if temporarily) restored
to operation by running "wbinfo -t". I am trying to keep my users happy
by running this every few seconds but obviously this isn't ideal!

smb.conf on the Squid server follows:

[global]
workgroup = IFA_NET
security = DOMAIN
netbios name = WEBPROXY
interfaces = eth2, lo
bind interfaces only = Yes
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://bdc.ifa.net
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
log level = 10
syslog = 0
log file = /var/log/samba/%m
max log size = 1048576
smb ports = 139 445
name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast hosts
time server = no
#printcap name = CUPS
show add printer wizard = Yes
enable privileges = yes
ldap suffix = dc=ifa,dc=net
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap user suffix = ou=People
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=ifa,dc=net
ldap ssl = no
ldap timeout = 20
#idmap backend = ldap:ldap://192.168.20.137
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
#winbind nested groups = yes
winbind trusted domains only = no