[Samba] Keeping a list of NetBIOS names on a network?

Matthew Dempsky matthew at dempsky.org
Tue Aug 18 13:22:25 MDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:01 AM, John H Terpstra - Samba
Team<jht at samba.org> wrote:
> Use the "findsmb" utility that ships as part of the Samba tarball.

I've been playing with this some, and it doesn't seem to find all
NetBIOS names on the network.  Presumably because not all hosts
respond to the initial broadcast wildcard query.

I also played with running nmbd, and found it seems to create a
browse.dat no matter what, but that it only lists itself unless it's
configured as the browse master.

Is there a way to query the network's browse master to find all known
NetBIOS names?  Could I then run nmbd with a low os level so it's only
elected browse master if the network doesn't already have a browse
master?  (Or is it guaranteed there will always be a browse master if
there are any names on the network?)

Thanks for the help so far! :)