[Samba] Question concerning file permissions in Samba 3.3.4

Dorrian, William M Contractor ACE-IT@SAJ William.M.Dorrian at usace.army.mil
Mon Aug 17 13:15:59 MDT 2009

We're running Samba 3.3.4 on RHEL 5 Linux, using Active Directory
authentication.

I've noticed that we are able to assign NTFS "Full Control" permissions to
directories; however, we are unable to do the same on the files contained
within those directories. Is there a default setting that is preventing us
from being able to assign them? Note that this happens even at the very top
of the directory tree...

Here is our smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        realm = REALM
        server string = storage
        interfaces = eth0
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = ADS
        allow trusted domains = No
        password server = passwordserver
        username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbusers
        use kerberos keytab = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        ;server signing = auto
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        dns proxy = No
        idmap alloc backend = tdb
        idmap backend = rid:WORKGROUP=16777216-33554431
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        template homedir = /home/%U
        winbind use default domain = No
        cups options = raw
        smb ports = 445

[array2]
        comment = "Disk Array 2"
        path = /mnt/array2
        read only = No
        admin users = admindude1
        inherit acls = yes
        map acl inherit = yes
[array3]
        comment = "Disk Array 3"
        path = /mnt/array3
        read only = No
        admin users = admindude1
        inherit acls = yes
        map acl inherit = yes

Thanks,

Bill Dorrian
Unix/Linux Systems Support
(904) 232-2742

"I did not get my Spaghetti-O's. I got spaghetti. I want the press to know
this."
- Thomas J. Grasso, executed by lethal injection on March 20, 1995