[Samba] samba with ldap PDC cannot join my windows to domain?

Alberto Moreno portsbsd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:16:55 MDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Dale
Schroeder<dale at briannassaladdressing.com> wrote:
> Alberto Moreno wrote:
>
>   Hello my friends.
>
>   Looks like I had seen some light with this small issue.
>
>   Normally wet u have a PDC in your network, with Winboxes, AD, NT4, u
> must have at least 1 Master Browser rigth?
>
>   Well at home I have just 2 winboxes xp pro sp3, every time I setup a
> samba server, nomally I stop the computer browser services of my
> clients, in this case my 2 winboxes, this way samba could quickly
> became the master browser of my network.
>
>   Like I told u before, one of my issues is that my domain name
> doesn't appear at my network, just the "workgroup" of the winboxes
> machines, every time I try to browse my networks with my winboxes, it
> took a while to answer or some times just stop working and finally,
> won't show me my samba domain.
>
>   If I read the nmbd.log, it tells me that samba is the master
> browser... cool but is not happening.
>
>   Last night I decide to enable one of my winboxes "Computer Browser"
> service and boom, I could browse my network and see my domain.
>
>   This tell me that samba is having issues trying to handle the
> network browser, right now I could not add  my box to the doman, but
> at least I could see my domain there.
>
>   I follow the manuals Dale at work and no issue here, even that I
> have 2 domains running, but as soon as I start samba, it appears at my
> network.
>
>   The issue is at home.
>
>   Well If u have some tips guys about how to troubleshoot this I will
> appreciated.
>
>   Thanks all for your help and time!!!
>

> To ensure that samba is the master browser against xp machines, I use
>
> [global]
>     domain master = Yes
>     os level = 65
>     announce version = 5.9
>
> This has always worked for me.
>
> Dale

   Hi my friends.

  I got finally my test server working.

  What I did:

  1) My server wasn't working as I describe to u. Them I decide to
start from scratch.
  2) Read about 4 how-to's(one of them was about ubuntu thanks Dale).

   I decide to start from scratch, because for some reason even that I
delete the samba info (/var/cache/samba, /var/lib/ldap) and some other
files we create each time we setup this, my windows xp machine  could
not reach my samba server and my server act very strange.

  Right the server is working, I could finally add my windows xp
machine to the domain without any issue.

  I'm just continue learning more  about samba.

  Thanks all for your help and time!!!

--
LIving the dream...