[Samba] Renaming a computer on the domain

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Mon Aug 17 08:57:32 MDT 2009

John Drescher wrote:
>> I was thinking that I had to reboot after the first step.  Thought it
>> gave
>> me an error, but maybe I am wrong.  I'll try it and see.
>>

> It does. I just ignore the box.

I get the error:

The following error occurred attempting to change the computer name to
"comp": (The domain "domain" was joined under the old computer name
"comp")
Access is denied.

I click on OK and it acts like it got added and asks me to reboot.

When I reboot and try to logon to the domain it tells me that it cannot
because the domain controller is down or the computer account was not
found.  I then have to logon locally, remove the computer from the domain
and readd it for it to work correctly.

So basically I have to.

Remove computer from domain
rename computer
reboot computer
add computer back to domain
reboot computer

Instead of:

Remove computer from domain
rename computer
add computer back to domain
reboot computer

Basically just one more reboot, but would be nice not to have to do it.

thanks.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?