[Samba] Can't open shares using netbios names

Walter Mautner retlaw.rentuam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 06:27:54 MDT 2009

Am Sonntag, 16. August 2009 03:17:41 schrieb Wayne Stidolph:
> I need a pointer to what Fine Manual I should go read to set up my
> netbios name resolution, because all my attempts to use netbios names
> are being resolved against dns ...
>
> I have one subnet (192.168.2/24), with several Fedora 11 machines and
> several Windows XP machines, and a couple SMB/CIFS NAS units which also
> share printers. No domain, it's all just a workgroup. The WinXP machines
> seem to be working just fine ... but, I can't connect to anything using
> smb with names from the Fedora 11 machines.

Because winxp defaults to broadcast name resolution unless configured
otherwise.
You need to tell the IP address of your wins server to the clients.
For windows, that's done via the "netbios-name-server IP-OF-WINS" directive in
your dhcpd.conf if you use dhcp, or under network/tcpip/advanced/wins options
otherwise.
For your fedora clients, you may be lucky with the dhcp directive as well, but
rather enter a "wins server = IP-OF-WINS" into the global smb.conf section.