[Samba] Windows machines (WINXP, WIN2K) can/will not join domain

Chartier, Prescott W CIV NUWC NWPT prescott.chartier at navy.mil
Fri Aug 14 07:03:29 MDT 2009

Ah .. I should have picked up on that ... Duh!!

In any event, I get the following when I run the dig command like this: ldap._tcp.dc._msdc.simpledomain @ournameserver

<<>> DiG 9.3.4 - P1 <<>> ldap._tcp.dc._msdc.simpledomain @ournameserver
(1 server found)
;; global options: printcmd

I get the following if I run the command like this: ldap._tcp.dc._msdc.simpledomain @ournameserver.simpledomain

<<>> DiG 9.3.4 - P1 <<>> ldap._tcp.dc._msdc.simpledomain @ournameserver.simpledomain
;; global options: printcmd

Just so you know, I am NOT a unix/linux type, I was called it to make sure there was nothing on the Windows side causing this problem, there isn't.

                   Prescott .....