[Samba] Win98 asks for IPC$ password <SOLVED AND DOCUMENTED>

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Aug 13 17:20:11 MDT 2009

On Thursday 13 August 2009 00:20:24 Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After I converted my Linux desktop from Mandriva 2008.1 with Samba 3.0.28a
> to Ubuntu 9.04 with Samba 3.3.2, my Windows 98 box could no longer connect
> to my Linux desktop via Samba. The symptom was that Windows kept asking for
> the IPC$ password.

After John gave me the solution, I wrote an article outlining the symptom,
solution and a little theory here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/win9x_samba.htm

Hopefully this will help some people solve it before tearing their hair out
and asking about it on the list.

Thanks for all the help.

SteveT

Steve Litt