[Samba] Win98 asks for IPC$ password <SOLVED>

smb23wc at gmail.com smb23wc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:14:37 MDT 2009

Steve Litt wrote:
> Thanks John, I was pulling out my hair. Your suggestions quickly solved it.
>> You need to enable lanman password support on your Ubuntu Samba server:
>> [global]
>> 	lanman auth = yes
>> 	client lanman auth = yes
>
> My experiments indicate that "client plaintext auth = Yes" is also necessary.

I've been having similar trouble since a recent 2.2 to 3.3 upgrade with a lone remaining Win98 machine, and this has fixed it too.  You should really only need the "lanman auth" to get it going.  "client lanman auth" supposedly only affects Samba's client tools, like smbclient.  Unless you're trying to initiate a connection from smbclient to the windows system, it shouldn't be needed.  And "client plaintext auth" should only be needed for DOS and other really old systems.

>> Then make sure that your smbpasswd filee or your tdbsam file has both
>> lanman and nt passwords for each user.
>
> THIS is the crucial information. I'd already done everything you suggested,
> but not in the right order that you suggest:
>
> 1) Add the lines to smb.conf
> 2) Restart Samba
> 3) smbpasswd -a w98username
> 4) w98username logs out and logs back in

Ah Ha!  This is what I was missing.  I'm using tdbsam, and apparently the lanman encrypted password is not stored usless it's enabled at the time the password is set.  Used smbpassword to reset, and it was able to join the domain and log in a user.  Mine did not require a restart or delete/re-add of the user;  just a password reset.

-RW