[Samba] samba with ldap PDC cannot join my windows to domain?

Alberto Moreno portsbsd at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 09:51:19 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Harry Jede<walk2sun at arcor.de> wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 12. August 2009 wrote Alberto Moreno:
>>   Hi people.
>>
>>   I have been working with samba+ldap = PDC in my test netwwork. I
>> had follow the good tutorial: Samba By Example, chapter 5, I had done
>> all the test the book say and no issues.
>>
>>   I have 2 issues:
>>
>> 1; I cannot see my domain at my windows browser.
>> 2; I cannot add my windows xp pro to my domain.
>>
>>   I have been trying to see if I could find the solution but nothing
>> yet, there is the reason I send this email.
>>
>>   My server is Centos 5.3 latest one all the packages are the current
>> from centos.
>>
>>   Ldap looks that is working, because all my test from the book pass,
>> and the same with samba.
>>
>>   Went I try to add one Winbox to the domain I receive this:
>>
>>   "The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
>> "MyDomain" "The network path as not found"
> Maybe, it helps:
> Try the domain "RMAI".
>
>>   My smb.conf is this:
>>
>> [global]
>>         dos charset = 850
>>         unix charset = ISO8859-1
>>         display charset = ISO8859-1
>>         workgroup = RMAI
>

>> Thanks for your time!!!
>>
>> --
>> LIving the dream...
>

> --
>
> Gruss
>        Harry Jede
> --

  Hello my friends.

  Looks like I had seen some light with this small issue.

  Normally wet u have a PDC in your network, with Winboxes, AD, NT4, u
must have at least 1 Master Browser rigth?

  Well at home I have just 2 winboxes xp pro sp3, every time I setup a
samba server, nomally I stop the computer browser services of my
clients, in this case my 2 winboxes, this way samba could quickly
became the master browser of my network.

  Like I told u before, one of my issues is that my domain name
doesn't appear at my network, just the "workgroup" of the winboxes
machines, every time I try to browse my networks with my winboxes, it
took a while to answer or some times just stop working and finally,
won't show me my samba domain.

  If I read the nmbd.log, it tells me that samba is the master
browser... cool but is not happening.

  Last night I decide to enable one of my winboxes "Computer Browser"
service and boom, I could browse my network and see my domain.

  This tell me that samba is having issues trying to handle the
network browser, right now I could not add  my box to the doman, but
at least I could see my domain there.

  I follow the manuals Dale at work and no issue here, even that I
have 2 domains running, but as soon as I start samba, it appears at my
network.

  The issue is at home.

  Well If u have some tips guys about how to troubleshoot this I will
appreciated.

  Thanks all for your help and time!!!

--
LIving the dream...