[Samba] Samba login errors of Vista PC to Samba DC

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Wed Aug 12 13:00:41 MDT 2009

SierraRose49 wrote:
> I am very new to Ubuntu/Linux/Samb and have very simple goals:
>
> Set up an Ubuntu Server as a Domain Controller to provide single signon for
> students using study center PC's.  All of the PC's are Windows Vista
> Business.
>
> I have successfully added a PC to the domain.
> I have successfully created a network user and logged on to the PC.
>
> However, the Samba log is throwing errors and I have a login script I would
> like to run that never runs.
>
> My smb.conf:
>

> [global]
>
>    netbios name = PIUSERVER1
>    workgroup = PIUDOMAIN
>    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
>    dns proxy = no
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>    max log size = 1000
>    syslog = 0
>    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>    encrypt passwords = true
>    security=user
>    username map = /usr/bin/smbpasswd

username map is the location of a file that contains user mappings, not
the samba  user listing.
>    'logon script = /scripts/LoginScript.bat
>    passdb backend = tdbsam
>    'passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://HTR.piudomain.com
>    obey pam restrictions = yes
>    unix password sync = yes
>    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
> %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
>    'pam password change = yes
>    map to guest = bad user
>
>    domain master = yes
>    domain logins = yes
>    local master = yes
>    wins support = yes
>    preferred master = yes
>    os level = 255
>
> [netlogon]
>

>     'path = /home/%u
>     guest ok = no

Everything below belongs in [global], rather than [netlogon].
>     logon path =
>     logon drive =
>     logon home =
>     logon script = /scripts/LoginScript.bat
>

> ############ Misc ############
>
> I have no idea if the above smb.conf is good or not.  The only information I
> have found is some from a book which has a chapter on setting up a Domain
> Controller.  The book suggested the following parameter but it causes logon
> issues with it in the smb.conf:
>
> passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://HTR.mydomain.com (and I did put my domain
> name in).

If you want to use ldap, look here:
http://wiki.makethemove.net/index.php?title=LDAP-Samba
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenLDAP-SambaPDC-OrgInfo-Posix

ldap adds another layer of difficulty, so you may wish to start with
tdbsam instead.
No ldap example:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2556827
> When I log in my user, this shows up in the Samba log.
>
> [2009/08/12 14:29:12,  0] lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy_fn(708)
>   ERROR: string overflow by 1 (256 - 255) in safe_strcpy
> [ÿø3×ÿø3×ÿø3×ÿÖ3×ÿÀ3×ÿø3×ÿø3×ÿE[×ÿ^W×ÿ|W×ÿšW×ÿžW×ÿÖ]
> [2009/08/12 14:29:12,  0] param/loadparm.c:process_usershare_file(8322)
>   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/mcarruthers
> failed. Permission denied
> [2009/08/12 14:29:12,  0] param/loadparm.c:process_usershare_file(8322)
>   process_usershare_file: stat of /var/lib/samba/usershares/mcarruthers
> failed. No such file or directory
> [2009/08/12 14:29:12,  0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1284)
>   sc15 (192.168.1.39) couldn't find service mcarruthers
>
> I have the script in /scripts/LoginScript.bat on my utuntu server.  I is a
> case where I want to run the same script for every user.
>
> Please assume I know nothing.  My background is all on the Windows side but
> I am trying to set up this Linux Server to be our Domain Controller instead
> of using Microsoft products.
>
> I know nothing about Unix, linux, and command lines give me a headache.
apt-get install swat samba-doc

Browse to http://samba_server:901/
SWAT will allow you to forgo much of the command line.  samba-doc will
give you help linked to each
parameter listed in SWAT and what its default is.
Note that when SWAT rewrites the smb.conf, any existing parameters in
smb.conf that are the "default"
will be removed.
>   I would appreciate any help you can give me but assume I know nothing.

Run testparm to check for smb.conf errors.
Check the web for Vista-specific requirements.

Dale