[Samba] Problem: cannot rename files

Chris Osicki osk at admin.swisscom-mobile.ch
Wed Aug 12 07:45:32 MDT 2009

Hi

I'm having quite strange problem, maybe someone could help me solve it.
From a WinXP client I can create files and directories, can remove them
but cannot rename them.
"Cannot rename New Folder: Access is denied".
Using smbclient as the same Windows user: no problems.

The share config is very simple:

[test]
    path = /export/samba/test
    writable = yes
    public = no
    browseable = yes

The underlying filesystem is ZFS on Solaris10.
The directory /export/samba/test is owned by root, the test user has
following rights:

# ls -lVda /export/samba/test
drwxr-xr-x+  3 root     root           3 Aug 12 13:39 .
     user:test:rwxpdD-A-W-Co-:------:allow
            owner@:--------------:------:deny
            owner@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:allow
            group@:-w-p----------:------:deny
            group@:r-x-----------:------:allow
         everyone@:-w-p---A-W-Co-:------:deny
         everyone@:r-x---a-R-c--s:------:allow

Needless to say, the test user can on Solaris do whatever he wants in this
directory.
With this directory owned by user test rename works of course.

Solaris 10 10/08, Samba 3.0.33 as delivered with it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Chris