[Samba] File Locking, Access - Inconsistencies

Ravi Channavajhala ravi.channavajhala at dciera.com
Tue Aug 11 23:31:46 MDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Jeremy Allison<jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 08:51:51AM +0530, ravi channavajhala wrote:
>> Hi Jeremy,
>>
>> Why would the file name be an issue here?  It is not just one file, several
>> files are getting affected.  I followed your earlier discussion on the issue
>> way back in 2002, can you suggest something to try.  Really, I will take
>> whatever I can get.
>
> Firstly, let's keep the list CC:ed so we keep
> everyone up to date. I'm asking what file name
> the fcntl is blocked in, as I want to know if
> this is a Samba tdb, or a file the server is
> trying to access. The Samba server should never
> make a blocking fcntl lock call on a user data
> file, but will make such calls on tdb files.
>
> So please let me know what file the fcntl syscall
> is blocked in. Thanks,
>
> Jeremy.

Sorry I must have not used reply to all.  Anyway, here is how I
trussed.  I had the user open a file, and then capture the system
calls made  with truss.  The fcntl appears blocking on a user file,
but I might be incorrect because I didnt really see which file the
file descriptor belonged to (the very first two lines of truss show
fcntl, no other information).  Either way, if this is blocking on tbd
file what possible recourse I can apply?  Thanks for your help.

--
Ravi Channavajhala