[Samba] Win98 client can't connect after Samba upgrade

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 11 14:26:00 MDT 2009

On 2009/08/11 12:49 (GMT-0400) smb23wc at gmail.com composed:

> Deyan Stoykov wrote:

>> smb23wc at gmail.com wrote:

>>> bullet and upgraded to Samba 3.3.4 on FreeBSD 7.2 and a new box.
>>> After a couple of weeks of thinking "that was too easy" I got a call
>>> that one PC wasn't working.  It's an old Windows 98 pc only used
>>> occasionally.  I tried recreating the machine account for it, and
>>> rejoining the domain, to no avail.  Any suggestions where to start

>> You need to add:

>> lanman auth = yes

>> The default value was changed from "yes" to "no" in recent versions.

> Thanks, Deyan.  Added that tweak;  no doubt it's part of the puzzle.  I also remembered the old registry hack with old Samba versions, and found this PC had the reg flag set to use plain-text passwords;  undid that one, but still no go.  Any other
suggestions?  [other than scrap the old clunker?  ;) ]

OS/2 requires also:

	client lanman auth = Yes
	client plaintext auth = Yes

Probably W9x is the same.
--
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose
understanding rather than silver. Proverbs 16:16 NKJV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/