[Samba] Win98 client can't connect after Samba upgrade

smb23wc at gmail.com smb23wc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 10:49:58 MDT 2009

Deyan Stoykov wrote:
> smb23wc at gmail.com wrote:
>> bullet and upgraded to Samba 3.3.4 on FreeBSD 7.2 and a new box.
>> After a couple of weeks of thinking "that was too easy" I got a call
>> that one PC wasn't working.  It's an old Windows 98 pc only used
>> occasionally.  I tried recreating the machine account for it, and
>> rejoining the domain, to no avail.  Any suggestions where to start
>
> You need to add:
>
> lanman auth = yes
>
> The default value was changed from "yes" to "no" in recent versions.

Thanks, Deyan.  Added that tweak;  no doubt it's part of the puzzle.  I also remembered the old registry hack with old Samba versions, and found this PC had the reg flag set to use plain-text passwords;  undid that one, but still no go.  Any other suggestions?  [other than scrap the old clunker?  ;) ]

-Rob W