[Samba] 20 second delays when accessing Samba on Fedora 11

Altan (aol.com) altan at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 20:43:58 MDT 2009

Jim, the network trace doesn't show any AAAA DNS record lookups while
this occurs.  However, I was surprised to find empty log files that look
like "log.__ffff_192.168.0.48".  What causes this?

Chris, you are onto something here (mentioning the NIC).  I haven't gone
back to prove this 100%, but the multiple 20 second delay problem has
gone away.  It went away when I connected the ethernet cable to a
temporarily unused NIC.  Specifically, I have 3 ethernet cards.  The
PC's having the 20x delay were on eth1.  The NIC eth0 wasn't used for
Samba at all.  NIC eth2 didn't have a cat5 connected, but was configured
with a static IP.  It appears the 20x delay went away when I connected
an ethernet cable to eth2.

This doesn't make any sense to me, however, as samba wasn't configured
to use eth2 at all.

Make any sense?

... Altan
www.aaarpinball.com