[Samba] Is there a console tool to monitor&control&log&notify the print queue information?

LiuYan 刘研 lovetide at 21cn.com
Mon Aug 10 03:54:13 MDT 2009

I setup a central Fedora 11 printer server in a big office for 80+ windows
clients due to the max 10 connections limitation of windows 2000/xp. 2
physical printers are connected to the server, and I configured 3 CUPS
printers(1 printer with 2 different printer drivers) in Fedora 11.

Is there a console tool to
1. Monitor the print queue(s) in real-time like windows system? A history
windows hold some recent printed jobs information, and a real-time window
hold the current printing/queueing jobs information. The current
printing/queueing job information contains the information like windows
system provided such as: Document Name, Status, Owner, Pages, File Size,
Submit Time, Port.

2. Control the print queue(s). Everyone who stand in front of Fedora 11 can
cancel any print job.

3. Log the job informations. Log job information to database, especially the
'Pages' and 'Owner' info of a job, so that I get a total Pages/Papers
consumed in a month. CUPS can't provide a correct Pages value if job comes
from Samba.

4. Notify the Owner when the job is finished via windows messenger
mechanism. Many workmates(especially workmates from HR department) often
print documents which have hundreds of pages. Their office is 30+ meters far
from the printer, they rarely watch the print queue in their windows
workstation, and watching a 'hundreds of pages' print job is boring. So, if
owner can be notified when print job is finished, it will be very
convenient. (hmmm, it's a weird idea that job information been notified via
windows messenger mechanism, but windows messenger service comes with
windows 2000+ system, so client users don't need install other softwares to
receive notification.)

ps:
(1). the printer server is an old computer (Celeron 900MHz, 128M+32M
memory), so it's not good to run GUI desktop.
(2). Document name contains Chinese characters, all I know is: there's an
open source project named zhCon to deal the display/input of
Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters in text console mode. And the encoding of
zhCon may be different to the linux system (I mean, the linux system may
have LANG=en_US.UTF-8, but zhCon may working with zh_CN.GBK), so the
encoding can be configurable.

:working:
If there's no such a tool, can anybody guide me how to get these print queue
information from Samba?

Any hint will be appreciated! :)