[Samba] Waiting for the domain list to be created

Sven Hazejager sven.hazejager at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 12:36:29 MDT 2009

Hi,

Very strange problem here: I have a laptop that I'm in the process of
reinstalling with XP SP3. I've done that a number of times over the
past week to do some test runs. I have also successfully added it to
my local Samba domain before. And as of today, I cannot anymore, even
after a number of re-installations!

Symptom: joining the domain seems to go fine (both during install and
later in XP through the network change dialog -- "Welcome to the BLAH
domain"). However, I get a "Waiting for the domain list to be created"
error at the login page! After pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL a couple of times
I can get rid of it and select the BLAH domain, but I cannot log any
user in.

This all works on another laptop and desktop (however I am unwilling
to try and unjoin/re-join them).

Running Samba 3.3.6 on FreeBSD 7.2. Earlier today I was still on
3.0.26 and upgrading to 3.3.6 has made zero difference.

Where do I start looking?

Thanks,

Sven