[Samba] Samba, OSX, and USB vfat

barsalou barjunk at attglobal.net
Sat Aug 8 12:42:06 MDT 2009

OK.  I'll setup the scenario.

I'm trying to use a USB Vfat drive shared via samba to an OSX 10.5.8 client.

When copying files from the Mac to Samba 3.0.26a I kept getting this error:

You do not have sufficient privileges to complete this operation (or
something close to
that)

And it would not complete the copy operation.

This is resolved for the moment, but wanted to share some of what has
occurred.

Without all the boring details, two things seemed most important.
First is the fstab for
mount this device:

/dev/sda1       /media/My\040Book auto
mask=0002,uid=barsalou,gid=shared,shortname=mixed

This is all one line btw.

The second is the stanza:

[music]
available = yes
browseable = yes
writable = yes
create mask = 02770
directory mask = 02770
force group = +shared
force user = barsalou
path = "/media/My Book/iTunes"

The most important bits here seem to be the uid,gid entries in the
fstab and the force group and force user in the stanza.

This only seems to be true on the USB mounted vfat drive.  I don't
really believe the USB part has anything to do with it, but thought I
would add the detail in case it does.

I'm not completely sure why but it definitely has to do with permissions.

Anyone have a non-USB vfat partition that they can share with Samba to
an OSX client?

I did test this same setup with an XFS mounted filesystem and it did
not require the 'force user' option.  Additionally, I wanted to force
the group so that ownership stays for the group.

Maybe I'm doing something else wrong?

Also, it seems like forcing a user an a share is bad juju, however,
this is a home network.

Thanks for any hints or advice.

Mike B.