[Samba] Samba permission problem

Marco Lovadina marco.lovadina at iol.it
Fri Aug 7 15:24:41 MDT 2009

Hi,

                I have an Ubuntu server acting as PDC on a LAN whose client
have WIN Xp professional installed.

                Domain's users are divided into different groups. Let's
focus on only two of them, say group1 and group2.

                Now I have        a share defined in smb.conf as follows:

                [shareName]

                comment = shareName

                path = /home/ut/shareName

                read only = No

                guest ok = no

                create mask = 0665

                directory mask = 0770

                force group = group1

                Access rights for shareName are : rwxrwxr-x.

                There's a subdir of shareName whose access rights are:
rwxrwx---

I'd like that no one not belonging to group1 could access to this subdir.

Unfotunately, accessing from a win xp client, users belonging to group2
could visit and listing the subdir.

Surprisingly, this doesn't occurs if I modify the subdir's access rights so
that they become: rwx---r-x.

It seems like group access specification were swapped with others access
ones, but I can't understand why.

Of course I'd like to have a more consistent behaviour. Is there something
I'm missing?

Otherwise, how can I do to fix what looks like a mistake?

Thanks in advance

Marco