[Samba] migrating from freebsd to linux - wbinfo mismatch

Joey Officer JOfficer at istreamfs.com
Thu Aug 6 14:01:57 MDT 2009

We're beginning a migration from FreeBSD w/ Samba Version 3.0.28a to
Gentoo Linux w/ Samba Version 3.0.33.  Both the BSD system and the Linux
system are joined to the domain, using the same krb5.conf file and
nearly identical global sections of the smb.conf file.

What I've found is the UID and GID are not aligned with each other.  For
example:

(dc2: 14:52:53 </var/db/samba>) 0 # wbinfo -i jofficer

jofficer:*:10019:10018:Joey Officer

fs1 private # wbinfo -i jofficer

jofficer:*:10017:10000:Joey Officer

In this case, dc2 is the original BSD system and fs1 is the new Linux
box.  In addition to the UIDs being off, the GIDs are also off:

(dc2: 14:54:54 </var/db/samba>) 0 # wbinfo --group-info "domain users"

domain users:x:10018

fs1 private # wbinfo --group-info "domain users"

domain users:x:10000

Normally, I wouldn't immediately recognize this as a problem, however
since I migrated the files and directories from DC2, all of the
user/group ownerships are skewed and therefore a user would be unable to
gain access to their files.

Can anyone offer any insight into the problem here?

Joey Officer
Systems Administrator
iStream Financial Services

262-432-1536

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This electronic mail and the information contained herein are intended
for the named recipient only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary
and/or privileged information.  If you have received this electronic
mail in error, please do not read any text other than the text of this
notice and do not open any attachments. Also, please immediately notify
the sender by replying to this electronic mail or by collect call to
(262) 796-0925. After notifying the sender as described above, please
delete this electronic mail message immediately and purge the item from
the deleted items folder (or the equivalent) of your electronic mail
system. Thank you.