[Samba] Trust relationship and "trusting" member servers

Steve Chupack steve.chupack at dealer.com
Thu Aug 6 06:39:51 MDT 2009

I'm in the process of migrating from a Samba PDC to a Win2k3 PDC (all member servers will remain as Samba boxes).

NEWDOMAIN = new Win2k3 PDC
OLDDOMAIN = current samba PDC
OLDDOMAIN_MEMBER = a current samba box that's a member of OLDDOMAIN

I've successfully established a trust relationship between OLDOMAIN and NEWDOMAIN where OLDDOMAIN trusts NEWDOMAIN. Users in NEWDOMAIN have full access to resources on the OLDDOMAIN PDC.

Where I'm stuck is granting access to OLDDOMAIN_MEMBER to users in NEWDOMAIN. OLDDOMAIN_MEMBER is joined to OLDDOMAIN and works as expected (Users in OLDDOMAIN can access resources on OLDDOMAIN_MEMBER. But users in NEWDOMAIN do not.

Can someone help with the general concept here? Should it work as I've configured it? Does OLDDOMAIN_MEMBER need to be running winbind against OLDDOMAIN PDC, or even NEWDOMAIN? (although I don't see how the latter would work without moving OLDDOMAIN_MEMBER to NEWDOMAIN).

Sorry if this is confusing -- tried to make it as clear as possible.

Steve