[Samba] Tuning the performance of Samba over LAN network to improve I/O performance

Himanshu Thapar himanshu.thapar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:42:07 MDT 2009

Hello friends,

I am trying to test NAS I/O performance over a network and trying to see the
numbers for write and read speed. I have successfully configured and ran a
lot of tests. However the numbers have not increased, I have reached a
bottleneck.

I tried playing around with the smb.conf file including all possible
variations like,

socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=(tried values like 8192, 65535,
131070) SO_SNDBUF=(tried 8192, 65535, 131070)
log level = 0 or 1
max xmit = used different numbers ( like 8192 to 65535)

I also tried using
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
but the numbers or the write and read performance does not improve.

My setup is as follows:
I have a Linux machine running ubuntu which is the host and I have it
connected to a Windows XP machine over the network and there is also an
E-SATA which I mount and try to test on. There is Iozone3 and samba server
running on linux.
I also have samba on the network.

The approximate average numbers I am getting over LAN are:

Write: around 23Mbits/sec
Read: around 33Mbits/sec

Please let me know of cases I can try and shoot up the performance.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.