[Samba] "inotify_handler No data on inotify fd?"

Kyle Schmitt kyleaschmitt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:06:50 MDT 2009

I've got a samba server that's occasionally spewing inotify errors.

The classic, "smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler No data on inotify
fd?" type errors solved by
kernel change notify = false

Now, everything is working perfectly on this box unless one or two
users leave files open from specific machines (this is as far as I can
tell, it's hard to get good info from the users sometimes, but it's
what the logs indicate).

Because of this, I would rather not put in the "kernel change notify =
false" line, so I'm wondering if there's another good solution.

When I logged into the server, lsof told me the offending client had a
single Excel file open about 1300 times, and I found their samba
process had been running for 14 hours.

What if I set limits, lets say hard and soft limits for open files to
512, or 128, and cpu time limits of 4 hours or so.
Would that cause issues for my users?
Would that have killed the misbehaving client, or at least kept it
from choking my system?
Will samba behave OK, if a user's samba process runs out of open file
handles, or will it instead fill my logs even faster?

Thanks
--Kyle